If you are offering high-end consulting services (environmental, strategic, operations, or executive consulting), this article is for you. In here, I will share some brand new methods that you can use to make your services more powerful and more enticing to the eyes of your target market.
1. Attend relevant trainings and seminars. Truth be told, you really can’t be too knowledgeable in the field of consulting. In fact, it would work to your advantage if you increase your knowledge from time to time. I recommend that you take advantage of relevant trainings and seminars that are being offered by industry leaders. Through these, you’ll surely be able to learn new insider tips, techniques, and more information that can help you become better at what you do.
2. Get in-depth knowledge about the problem. Most people are seeking consulting services because they have problems that they can’t seem to resolve by themselves. In order to effectively help these people, I recommend that you look at all the angles of the problem first before you offer your expert advice and your recommendations. It would help if you can spend more time talking with your clients to really understand the things that they are struggling with.
3. Specialize. Instead of being jack-of-all-trades, it would be better if you can specialize so you can offer your clients with high quality consulting service. For instance, if you are a business consultant, you may focus on any of these fields; strategic planning, product development, human resources, resource management, marketing, etc.
4. Improve your communication skills. This is one of the most important skills to succeed in the field of consulting. You need to make sure that you have the ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas. You must not struggle finding the right words just to get your message across.
5. Know your clients and their problems. Be willing to actively listen to your clients to obtain more information about themselves and their problems. This can surely make your job much easier. Get to know their skill level, their level of comprehension, and their preferences. Also, have a deeper understanding of their pre-set goals and their problems. By doing so, you can easily make your consulting services highly targeted to their needs and demands.
6. Make your clients feel valued. You will need to make these people feel that you truly appreciate their business. You can do this by offering them more than what they have paid for. You can give them more consulting time (if they need it) and unlimited email support. You can also share with them your personal techniques to speed up the learning process.